Charlie Cooks Favourite Book Activities
If you want to grab your own copy of Charlie Cook’s Favourite book you can here;
I wanted to continue the fun. So I have created lots of activities based on the book for you to continue your adventure.
Let’s Dress up
I love dressing up and had great fun re-creating the characters in the book. Can you grab your favourite book and dress up as the characters in it? Maybe you could try acting out the story or even making a little video like I did!
Create a pirate telescope
Every pirate needs a telescope to help them find the treasure. Can you make one using the list of things below;
- Toilet or kitchen roll tube
- stickers or jewels
Do the Bear and porridge dance
The bears didn’t get to eat the porridge in this book but they do get to taste it in the story of Goldilocks and the 3 bears. For this next task you will need to grab a teddy bear. Can you do the porridge dance?
- Can you move like your porridge is too hot? Like your feet are in the hot porridge and it’s hot! Would you love fast or slow? How would it make you feel?
- Can you move like your porridge is too cold? How would that make you feel and move?
- And lastly if your porridge was just right, how would you move? How would that make you feel? I think I’d be doing a happy dance!
Jokes for the dragon
The knight in the book made the dragon laugh. Can you make the dragon laugh too? Do you have some good jokes? Can you write them on our template and then try them out on your family, in person, on the phone or maybe on FaceTime. Did they make them laugh?
Here’s one to get you started: What did the big flower say to the little flower? Hey Bud!
Create a book castle for Rowena the frog
Rowena the frog loved books. I thought it would be fun to use books in a different way. Have you ever created a castle out of books? Can you make one as big and cool as Zander and Neve have?
Build a birds nest for Mr Rook
The birds used pages of books to create their nests in the book. But, we don’t want to spoil our books so for this one you might need to get your shoes on and head outside. Head for a walk or take a look around your garden for things you could use to create a birds nest. Here are a list of things you might want to use;
- sticks and twigs
What else can you find to use?
When you have finished your nest why not add all the bits you found to a big bowl or basin and make a magic garden potion by adding water.
Make an alien from play dough
I’ve had a number of people say it made them laugh when my little alien flew past in my video. The alien is green and in his flying saucer in the book. But, if you were to make an alien what would it look like?
Why not try our fabulous play dough recipe and create your very own alien?
Let’s go on a jewel hunt
I love shiny things! And every jewel thief loves treasures, just like the thief in the book. Can you find some small pebbles and stones and turn them into treasure? How about using pens or paints? Or even wrapping them in tinfoil?
Once you have made them, can you hide them around your house or garden for your family to find? Or perhaps they can hide them for you to find!
Make a crocodile paper puppet
I used lots of puppets in my video. Can you make your own crocodile puppet?
Bake a cake fit for the queen
Yummy!! Cake is my favourite thing to eat. Let’s get our baking aprons on and make a cake fit for a queen(or king)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour 2 round cake pans.
- In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until fluff. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each one.
- In anot her bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake for approx 28 to 30 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool on wire racks.
Get arty in space
In the book the spaceman took cake and his favourite book into space. What would you take with you if you went into space?
Download our colouring in sheet and maybe you could add some pictures of the things you would take into space on the picture.
Be cool and create ice ghosts
My favourite part of filming the video was the ghost head part. I had to enlist the help of my son to film it. It was lots of fun and we laughed a lot getting it right.
I hope you have lots of fun trying these out. Don’t forget to share your creations with me on my Facebook page.